Latest news just in! SHRM recently reported that a company that failed to complete I-9 paperwork properly was just fined $605,250, the largest amount in history.
These fines were not for employing illegal immigrants and/or altering the documents. They were for simple ADMINISTRATIVE errors that any business owner could make… unintentionally.
The bulk of the violations were due to the employer…
- Forgetting to sign section 2 of the I-9 form
- Modifying the I-9 form to help streamline their on-boarding process
- Not obtaining I-9 documentation for certain employees
- Forgetting to ensure the employee portion was signed
- Missing certain A, B, and C documents
U.S. Law requires companies to only employ individuals who may legally work in the United States. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires all employers to fill out and retain I-9 forms. In the past few years, the government has made huge strides with the E-Verify tool which is an internet based system that allows businesses to determine the eligibility of their employees to work in the U.S. E-verify actually uses data from the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to determine whether information matches government records and whether the new hire is authorized to work in the U.S. Using E-verify is not mandated in TN yet, but is considered a best practice.
If you are a small to medium sized business owner that…
- Is unsure of whether you have completed, stored and retained the I-9 forms correctly
- Wants to have confidence and peace of mind in your I-9 process before an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officer shows up for an audit
- Would like a third party to conduct E-verify services for your company
- Wants to minimize risk exposure for potential penalties
Then please drop us a line at HR Designs. An HR Consultant can conduct an audit of your records and then work to correct any issues you may have before it is too late. As a business owner, compliance should be a given, so let’s make it that way!
Your local Chattanooga Human Resources Consultant